The American continent is gifted when it comes to natural beauty and landscape formations. It is therefore sought after by travellers looking to experience the natural wonders that the continent has to offer.
Canyons are one of the most breathtaking landscape formations in America. The Grand Canyon in Arizona and Bryce Canyon National Park in Utah for example. Another extraordinary landscape in America is the volcanic islands of Hawaii. But if you head further inland, you can also witness beautiful prairies, especially in the Midwest US.
South America, on the other hand, is equally gifted when it comes to amazing landscapes. There are many breathtaking and massive waterfalls in the continent, particularly the famous Iguazu Falls. Just like the Niagara Falls that is shared by the US and Canada, this waterfall is shared by Argentina and Brazil. Both the North and South America also have a salt flat, which results in an otherworldly landscape. And it is worth noting that the largest river system in the world – Amazon – is located on this continent.
America is a land of cultural heritage and rich history. You can, therefore, expect a lot of cultural activities that you can integrate into your travel itinerary.
There are plenty of archaeological and historical ruins in various parts of the American continent. These ruins provide a glimpse of how the ancient people of the land lived. Some of the best ruins to visit are Machu Picchu, Chichen Itza, and the Taos Pueblo in New Mexico.
There are also several monuments and landmarks all over the American continent that offer a glimpse into the history of the land. The ones you should try to visit are Mount Rushmore National Memorial, Christ the Redeemer, and the Catedral Metropolitana.
In addition, there are many beautifully preserved colonial towns in America that seem to have been frozen in time. Good examples of them are Charleston in South Carolina, Cartagena in Colombia, Antigua in Guatemala, and Quito in Ecuador.
This is a list of the must-visit attractions for most countries in the American continent:
- USA – As one of the largest countries in the world, the USA is packed with a lot of tourist attractions. Among the can’t-miss ones are the Statue of Liberty National Monument, Grand Canyon National Park, Golden Gate Bridge, and the Monument Valley.
- Mexico – Mexico is best known for its historical and cultural attractions such as Chichen Itza, Cabo San Lucas, and the cenotes in Tulum and Playa del Carmen.
- Canada – Canada is a North American country with a good mix of modern, natural, and cultural attractions. Make sure you visit the CN Tower, Banff National Park, Butchart Gardens, and Moraine Lake.
- Brazil – Brazil is home to a number of tourist attractions including Christ the Redeemer, the Amazon River, Iguazu National Park.
- Peru – Machu Picchu is the most notable tourist attraction in Peru. But aside from this, you can also explore the Sacred Valley and Colca Canyon.
- Argentina – Argentina is a haven for nature and outdoor lovers as it is filled with many natural wonders. Among the best places to visit is the Parque Nacional Los Glacier, Iguazu National Park, and La Boca.
- Chile – Located on the western edge of South America, Chile’s must-see attractions include the Atacama Desert, Chiloe Island, and the Andes mountains.
In the US and most of Northern America, the best time to visit is in spring and fall. The summer months can be extremely hot and winter brings extreme weather. Both spring (March to May) and fall (September to November) bring favourable conditions, but this also means that there will be more crowds, as they're the peak tourist season.
For South America, the summer months are considered as the best time to visit (around December to March). In general, the rainy season typically happens from January to May. It is best to avoid those months when you travel to South America. Most of these countries are great year-round travel destinations, though.